Saturday, June 18, 2011

1500pts Test for Astro

I met up with a friend of mine to try out a 1500 point list for the upcoming Astro. He too is planning to play a FW army so we thought it would be cool to start tweaking and really getting to know the rules of our respective FW armies.

Billy is a great sport and fun to play. Check out his blog here. He was running a Grot tank army. It was shaping up to look really cool. Luckily Billy allowed me to run with some proxies as the Elysians are not put together yet. I ran cadian's with things like the Autocannon squads became Heavy Bolter squads (Elysian's can't take ACs).

Anyway, it was a real close game. It ended in turn 6 with me being the winner but if it had gone one more turn it would either have been a draw or a downright win for him. All I had left at the end of turn 6 was an immobilized Vulture, 1 Missile Launcher Squad (on an objective), 1 Valkyrie, and 3 guys left out of my Veteran unit that was sitting on the other objective.

He still had a lot of hate and discontent on the table. I'm not sure they could of gotten into objective taking range but he could of easily wiped out the two squads and forced the draw. Our armies lists looked like this:

My Elysians:

1 Command Squad with 2 Plasma Guns, a Medic, a normal guy and the Commander

1 Platoon, 1 platoon command squad with 2 Meltaguns in it, and then 2 squads with plasmagun and the sergeants had plasma pistols.

Attached to the Platoon were two drop sents with Mulit-meltas, 2 Heavy Bolter Squads and 1 Missile Launcher Squad

1 Squad of Vets in Carapace with 3 Meltaguns and the sergeant had a plasma pistol. Mounted in a Valkyrie with Multi-laser and 2 multiple rocket pods.

1 Squad of Vets in Carapace with 3 Plasmaguns and the sergeant had a plasma pistol. They were mounted in a Vendetta (base model)

1 Vulture with Armoured Cockpit and twin linked punisher cannons. That Armoured Cockpit more then paid for itself on the Vulture. I'm thinking I might take the flare/chaff dispenser.

I had other addons in wargear etc, but you get the jist of the list.

If memory serves me right his list looked like:

1 Mek in battlewagon with force field
1 Nob with power klaw and 'eavy armor boyz (20 I think)
1 Nob with a unit of shoota boyz (20 again I think)
1 unit of 3 Kans with rokkit launchas
1 unit of 3 Kans with rokkit launchas
1 Deff Kopta
1 unit of 4 Grot Tanks
1 unit of 4 Grot Tanks
1 Grot megatanks or some such. (looked cool and evil ... spent the vendettas time shooting it)

So a few things I learned in this fight, I need more men for staying power (granted the grot tanks were excellent infantry killers with their blast cannons.) I also need to remember that open topped vehicles allow those evil buggers to assault out of them. I think I might take Meltaguns in my line platoon but leave the sergeants with the plasma pistols. The Plasmaguns were ok but rarely did they get a shot out to 24, everything was within that distance fast.

I might take an addon to the command squad. Maybe the Master of Ordnance to get that big blast template. Also maybe look at a navy flyer... not sure on that yet, but it would be cool ;)

Right now I think my "big" change will be to see about adding a squad in and changing things to meltaguns instead of plasma.

Thanks for the great game Billy and I look forward to several more in the near future :)

No comments:

Post a Comment